What is Religious Science, The Science of Mind®?
What is the Science of Mind®? Paraphrasing Ernest Holmes, founder
of Science of Mind, the answer to this question is: Science of Mind
represents the correlation of religion, science, and philosophy. It
is a religion in the sense that it explores and teaches Universal
Principles defining the spiritual nature of the Universe and
humankind’s relatedness to God. It is a science in that students of
it are asked to experiment with these Universal Principles and accept
only those which they can prove, demonstrate, or experience in their
daily lives. It is a philosophy in that ideas and ideals are brought
together into a system of concepts about God, the Cosmos, humanity,
and human possibility.
Fundamentally, the Science of Mind is a teaching based on
principle. What is a principle? A basic truth or law which has been
proved infallible – it works without known exceptions – and
impersonal: it works for everyone alike
Physical principles or laws are familiar to all of us. We all
accept without question the workings of gravity, electricity,
mathematics, chemistry, the ways of soil with a seed, and many other
companions of our everyday lives. Science of Mind deals with
Spiritual Principles which work the same way – infallibly and
The primary Spiritual Principle on which the Science of Mind is
based is, simply stated: There is in the Universe One Reality
Principle and Presence, One Supreme Being, One Infinite Source of all
there is. Each human being is a creation of God, an individualized
expression of Spirit. thus, we are all One with God and one with
eachother – there is a Divine Wholeness, a Unity of all life at the
Source. This leads directly to the realization that God, the Source
of all is not out there somewhere, but within you, right where you are.
All the other Spiritual Principles which order the Universe, from
the farthest galaxy to the smallest cell in our bodies, flow from,
and are encompassed within, the One Primary Principle summarized
above. We live and move and and have our being in a Universe governed
by Love and powered by Law.
This is the Science of Mind. These Principles can be applied in
any and every facet of our lives, so that daily they reflect more
light, more love, more joy, more fulfillment.
What We Believe by Dr. Ernest Holmes
- WE BELIEVE in God, the living Spirit Almighty; one, indestructible, absolute, and self-existent Cause. This One manifests Itself in and through all creation, but is not absorbed by Its creation. The manifest universe is the body of God; it is the logical and necessary outcome of the infinite self-knowingess of God.
- WE BELIEVE in the individualization of the Spirit in Us, and that all people are individualizations of the One Spirit.
- WE BELIEVE in the eternality, the immortality, and the continuity of the individual soul, forever and ever expanding.
- WE BELIEVE that heaven is within us, and that we experience it to the degree that we become conscious of it.
- WE BELIEVE the ultimate goal of life to be a complete freedom from all discord of every nature, and that this goal is sure to be attained by all.
- WE BELIEVE in the unity of all life, and that the highest God and the innermost God is one God. We believe that God is personal to all who feel the indwelling presence.
- WE BELIEVE in the direct revelation of truth through our intuitive and spiritual nature, and that anyone may become a revealer of truth who lives in close contact with the indwelling God.
- WE BELIEVE the the Universal Spirit, which is God, operates through a Universal Mind, which is the Law of God; and that we are surrounded by this Creative Mind which receives the direct impress of our thought and acts up on it.
- WE BELIEVE in the healing of the sick through the power of this Mind.
- WE BELIEVE in the control of conditions through the power of this Mind.
- WE BELIEVE in the eternal Goodness, the eternal Loving-Kindness, and the eternal Givingness of Life to all.
- WE BELIEVE in our own soul, our own spirit, and our own destiny; for we understand that the life of all is God.